Posted on April 30th, 2009 2 comments
Repost from http://multiplythemeslayouts.com:
[UPDATE: Link to source added.]
Slash, [former] guitarist of rock band Guns n Roses will be rockin for American Idol on May 5 2009. The theme for 5/5/09 show of American Idol is Rock and Roll. Yup! Slash of Guns n Roses has been asked to mentor the Idol contestants during Rock Week.
So guys, mark it as early as now so you won’t miss Slash of Guns n Roses next week on American Idol season 8. Now I wonder who among the top 4 finalist will sing Sweet Child O’Mine? This going to be one exciting rock and roll night hehe.
Posted on April 10th, 2009 1 comment
I’m sure you know by now that Chinese Democracy is the first album from Guns N’ Roses in more than a decade. It’s also the first album with only one original member, Axl. So, it’s more like the Axl Rose solo project…but the genius known as W. Axl Rose realized that he will capitalize a lot more on the GNR brand name…kind of reminds me of Activision and their ongoing releases of Guitar Hero games (but that’s a rant for another post.)
I picked up Chinese Democracy the day it was available on CD from Best Buy. To be honest, it’s a good album. It’s no Appetite For Destruction (and nothing ever will be). It’s similar to Use Your Illusions, but with all the new musicians, it has a new sound.
Anyway, I will definitely be out 1600 MS Points next week picking up this DLC. How about you?
NOTE: I will be updating my Slacker Radio station later with the new GNR tunes. Check back.
Straight From HMXSean’s Desk:DLC 4/14 GNR Chinese Democracy
It is my pleasure to announce an album next week for all three consoles – Guns N’ Roses Chinese Democracy.
Next week’s Rock Band Music Store lineup will feature 13 songs from Chinese Democracy. With “Shackler’s Revenge” from Chinese Democracy already featured on the Rock Band 2 soundtrack, the DLC album includes the following tracks:
(All tracks are original master recordings)
The tracks will be available for purchase as an album or individual tracks for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system. The tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks only for Wii.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
(Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360 and in-game Rock Band 2 Music Store for Wii)
Thursday, April 16, 2009
** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change **
$1.99 or 160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360 per track
$2.00 or 200 Wii Points for Wii per track
$19.99 (1600 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for album
Xbox LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360
In-game Rock Band 2 Music Store for Wii
Posted on December 31st, 2008 1 comment
As we wind down 2008 and wind up 2009, let me recap on the obsessions that have kept me coming back to the blog. In looking over the past 12 months, I’ll highlight the top seven obsessions that have swallowed up all my free time this past year. I’ll also take a look at what obsessions might be cropping up for 2009.
Here are the obsessions in order of importance to me.
Picture the ball dropping, and countdown on…
10, 9, 8…
7. Death of My Treo Obsession.
After four dedicated years to the Palm OS and the Treo lineup, and the blog formerly named My Treo Obsession, the obsession that started this blog has ended. I have handed my Treo to my 3 year old son as his new toy phone, and my Treo 700p to my 2 year old daughter for her new toy phone.
6. New Xbox Experience.
The Xbox 360 is my console of choice (though do use a Wii nearly as much) and the New Xbox Experience (NXE) was a fun obsession this year. We got to hear the rumors, leaks, and beta testing of a cool dashboard for the Xbox 360, which in November brought new life to the 3+ year old gaming system. I really haven’t played with NXE much since it came out, due to other obsessions taking up much of my time…also, my general rule when it comes to Xbox is, (1) turn it on (2) start Rock Band 2.
5. Guns N’ Roses – Chinese Democracy.
Well this is an obsession that has spanned a decade+, and finally came to fruition (well, sort of) in November 2008. Axl Rose, and an entirely new band, finally released Chinese Democracy. So, the hype was of course huge and the album…well, more of a let down to most. But, honestly, something that was hyped for about 14 years is guaranteed to never match expectations. I can say that I have only listened to the CD three times, which either means I don’t really love it, or maybe I just got old in the past 14 years. You decide. None the less, it was a very exciting past few months discussing GNR all over again. I felt like I was back in high school again.
4. Drumming Stuff.
You may know that I’m a long time drummer. If it weren’t for Rock Band and all the other rhythm games out this year, I probably would have not talked much about drumming on the blog. But, thanks to Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero World Tour, Rock Revolution, and others, drumming was a big part of the year. From the new kits with the games, to the ION Drum Rocker, to me building (and temporarily failing) a custom Roland/Yamaha kit to work with Rock Band, it was a great year for electronic drumming. I can anticipate that in 2009, this obsession will likely continue. As my Rock Band drum kit recently died (red pad is a goner), and I plan to continue my soldering challenges of building a custom Roland/Yamaha kit to work with Rock Band, 2009 will be a big year for my drumming obsession.
3. BlackBerry Storm.
Although the Storm has been on the top of my blog posts lately, it tops out at #3 this year. The hype leading up to RIM’s for touchscreen device was just awesome. The release date flops and “not ready for prime time” OS that it released on, made for great posts and quite an obsession. Now it’s stabilizing, and 3rd party apps are cropping up everywhere. For me, I have enjoyed the Storm since I got it, and continue to love it more every day. Since this blog was founded on gadget obsessions, I’m sure the Storm and BB in general will play a big role in 2009 obsessions.
2. Rock Band 2.
This has taken a big part of my life in 2008. What a game! What a soundtrack! What a fun way to listen to music! On and on. I just love this game and everything about it. Rock Band (and Rock Band 2) has brought me back to gaming, has brought me back to drumming and singing, has brought me closer to friends and family (though my wife would disagree), has given me a way to stay close to people who are geographically far away. I get excited every Friday to hear about the new downloadable content (DLC), and rush home Tuesday nights to play with friends. In 2009, I see this genre remaining big on my obsession list, possibly with focus on new DLC or possibly the rumors of a Rock Band 3.
1. You, the readers.
Corny, I know. You may not know this, since I only blog about it once or twice a year, but I spend a lot of time watching statistics of the site. I love seeing what the sites visitors are reading, where in the world they live, and what keeps you coming back for more. As much as I started this blog for myself, it’s built up a few occasional writers (I’m always looking for more writers) and thousands of visitors. In the six months I’ve been using Google Analytics to follow site statistics, I’m happy too see over 5,000 visitors a month and steadily growing. My current target is 9,000 visitors a month by Summer. I’m happy to see some people taking advantage of the Store offerings we added this year (sponsored by Amazon, Best Buy, and Google), and just glad to see that people enjoy reading and discussing the same things that I obsess about. Thank you!
With that, we’ve come to the end…
Happy New Year!
Please share your top obsessions in comments below.
Posted on December 16th, 2008 No comments
Guns N’ Roses (17 year in the making) album Chinese Democracy looks like it will make a DLC entrance on Rock Band soon. Are you shocked? I’m not. Are you excited? So-so for me, though I will buy it day one.
First, we know that Shackler’s Revenge is on the RB2 disc. We have seen may bands that are on the RB2 disc getting full DLC albums released (Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, etc). I see the trend.
Since Shackler’s made it’s world debut on RB2, it only makes sense that Axl and company made an exclusive to have the new album entirely made available after the Best Buy exclusive ended…which is likely over now, or soon.
Also, the album is not selling well. Only 200k copies it’s first week, and peeked at #3 on Billboard….then sharply fell off the radar. So, the world’s most expensive album to make, is not reaping much in the way of rewards right now.
Thanks to Wired, we get the rumor that the entire album may show up on Rock Band soon.
Personally (and if Axl wants to make his money back), he needs, NEEDS to get any of the following albums on RB DLC. Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusion 1 & 2, GNR Lies. Get them on DLC, charge $2 (hell, charge $3 a song)…people will buy it.
Posted on November 21st, 2008 1 comment
I am speechless, and sure hope you pre-ordered your copy of Guns N’ Roses Chinese Democracy. My copy just surprisingly showed up in my mail. It is sitting right in front of me, still sealed.
This is going to be my first GNR album opening since the Spaghetti Incident in 1994.
Well, just wanted you to know, I have it…and about to open it and toss it in my Xbox 360 for a listen.
Five minutes ago, I updated to the New Xbox Experience, and I’m in the middle of modding my Rock Band drum kit, oh, and am in a three hour queue at Verizon Wireless to get a BlackBerry Storm. (I’ll be heading back to the store in an hour or so).
What a freakin’ crazy day! I LOVE this!
Posted on November 14th, 2008 No comments
I’m very excited to announce that we have come to an agreement with BestBuy.com to extend Best Buy’s exclusive offer of the Guns N’ Roses album Chinese Democracy from our blog at My Gadget, Game & Gizmo Obsession (powered by blog.javadevelop.com). As many of us have been discussing the album here at our site, I’m very excited to now offer you the CD and LP available through links on our blog.
If you are planning on picking up the CD or vinyl, please consider buying through us and our new relationship with BestBuy.com. All transactions will go through BestBuy.com. I know, I know, you can easily type the BestBuy URL in and buy it that way…but everything you buy through our blog, helps make this community stronger. Think of it as you, helping me, helping you. Thanks.
Click here for the CD at $11.99:BestBuy.com Re-Direct Link
Click here for the LP $19.99:
Posted on November 14th, 2008 No comments
This is quite a month, and difficult to focus on things outside of my obsessive world. Between BlackBerry, Xbox 360, Rock Band, and GNR…there is so much that has already gone down this month, and it’s not over yet. Since (due to work schedules) I may be a little light on posts next week, let me point out some of the biggies that are expected to drop between now and next Friday.
- November 18 – As always, the weekly Rock Band DLC will be out. We haven’t heard the official list yet, but should within the next couple hours.
- November 19 – Microsoft will officially release the New Xbox Experience upon the masses (i.e. 14 million Xbox Live subscribers). This will give a beautiful update the Xbox 360 dashboard, bring on cool avatars, lot’s of social activities, and the biggie….Netflix streaming capabilities.
- November 21 – Research In Motion & Verizon Wireless will release the most discussed BlackBerry of the year, the BlackBerry Storm. This is the first BlackBerry with full touchscreen and amazing media capabilities. It’s going to give AT&T and the iPhone some serious competition.
- November 23 – Best Buy will exclusively release the highly anticipated Guns N’ Roses album Chinese Democracy, which is 15 years in the making. I’ve seen that soon iTunes will also pick it up. Hopefully, we will have it in our MP3 store soon.
Really, it’s going to be a crazy week of new stuff. Of course, the obessions don’t end there. We will be using, abusing, and reviewing everything once we get our hands on it all.
On the unofficial list, here are some other things coming up.
- I will officially put the nail in the coffin “My Treo Obsession”. This was the original title of this blog, and my whole reason for starting this thing up a couple years ago. You can expect a big article in the next week or two, where I will officially retire both the Treo 650 and 700p, and hand them over to my children to destroy use as toys.
- I will be modifying my new (to me) Roland electronic drum kit to work with my Xbox 360 and Rock Band 2. This will be fun, and the parts are on their way to my house. Of course, I need to buy and learn how to use a soldering iron. That’s a scary thought.
Posted on November 12th, 2008 No comments
Posted on November 12th, 2008 No comments
- COMING VERY SOON:
- November 19 – Microsoft will officially release the New Xbox Experience upon the masses (i.e. 14 million Xbox Live subscribers). This will give a beautiful update the Xbox 360 dashboard, bring on cool avatars, lot’s of social activites, and the biggie….Netflix streaming capabilities.
- November 23 – Best Buy will exclusively release the highly anticipated Guns N’ Roses album Chinese Democracy, which is 15 years in the making. I’ve seen that soon iTunes will also pick it up. Hopefully, we will have it in our MP3 store soon.[ad#post-banner-ad]
- November 24 – Research In Motion & Verizon Wireless will release the most discussed BlackBerry of the year, the BlackBerry Storm. This is the first BlackBerry with full touchscreen and amazing media capabilities. It’s going to give AT&T and the iPhone some serious competition.
- JUST PASSED:
- November 4 – Research In Motion & AT&T released the BlackBerry Bold. Although it was released several months late, it’s by far the nicest BlackBerry to date…soon to be overshadowed by the Storm.
- November 6 – Rock Band 2 Bonus DLC was released with little fanfare since it comtained mostly unknown artists and unknown songs. But, heck, 20 free songs is 20 free songs.
Posted on November 6th, 2008 No comments
- Rock Band 2 to get 20 bonus tracks for download. This is supposed to be released this week, still not out. In the DLC world, that’s ~$20-40 worth of songs to play, for no additional cost. Very cool, can’t wait to get this playing.
- BlackBerry Bold and Storm both released in the U.S. We know the Bold came out this week, and the Storm doesn’t have an official date yet. It’s likely we will see both of these in November.
- Guns N’ Roses Chinese Democracy get’s released. The album 16 years in the making is coming to Best Buy exclusively on November 23.
- Xbox Live update on November 19, known as the New Xbox Experience (NXE). Lot’s of cool updates, for Xbox 360 users. Avatars, online parties/playing, and the biggie…Netflix streaming. The best part, NXE is free and the online features are included to Xbox Live subscribers.
- Netflix, Starz, and lot’s of network shows straming via Xbox 360 (see above). This piece only requires the $9 per month Netflix fee.
- Rock Band AC/DC released in Wal-Mart. This came out early this week. We aren’t rushing to get this, but will at some point. possibly when we see it on clearance.
- Not previously mentioned, but I built a Roland electronic drum kit this month to play Rock Band. I still need to modify the kit to make it work with the game. Not sure this will be complete in November.
For me, the instant pick ups are: Storm, Rock Band DLC, NXE and GNR album. Going to be a busy month for the obsessions. What about your obsessions? What would you add?
- COMING VERY SOON:
My Gadget, Game & Gizmo Obsession …blogging about mobile stuff, gamer stuff, and other stuff since 2007 (MyGGGo.com)